Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Finnish Jaakari vs Hohei Chutai in No Retreat

Me and my friend met at our local games shop, and this guy makes his own terrain. I have no idea what my friends list looked like, but I know he had 2 platoons of infantry, 2 platoons of light guns of some sort, and one platoon of 100mm cannons. I fielded 4 T-28s, 2 platoons of Jaakari (one large and one small), 1 platoon of Sissi (small), a platoon of Pak36s, and a platoon of 3 mortars. We rolled for the mission and got No Retreat, with my Finns defending. This was the first time either of us had tried our lists, and we did so in preparation for an upcoming tournament, which I am hoping to cover as best I can.
The Board
The stuff I elected to start with, the rest in reserve.


I held the T-28s in ambush, and those tent-looking things are objectives. My opponent opted for a dawn attack, meaning that the first 2 turns are guaranteed night. I have to say, the Japanese get some cool special rules. But the Finns have T-28s, which are even cooler. And that's why I think I'll like them in the upcoming tournament, now that I know how to use them. With 10 total MG shots per platoon, and a turret rear MG that makes infantry re-roll its successful hits, they are an insane tank against EW infantry. They also have FA 4 SA 3 AT 7 and FP 3+ so they are not slouches against tanks either. Anyway, enough praise for the awesome T-28, now for the game!

Japanese Turn 1
He doubles everything forward, the troops not caring for the stream to slow them down.
Finnish Turn 1
Here I make my fatal mistake and don't reveal the T-28 ambush in the path of his infantry and out of sight of his artillery. I waited too long. To start, my other T-28s come on and move up a little.
Japanese Turn 2
The horde charges forward again!
Finnish Turn 2
Bring on the guns, and they walk forward a little.
The T-28s move up again, still out of sight of the 100s. The mortars range in and kill one light mortar, out of 13 potential targets.
Japanese Turn 3
He prepares to assault my Sissi, who brace for the hard fight ahead. His guns try to hit me, and the first wave fails, but second wave pins my guys. I get no hits in defensive fire unfortunately, and the charge is weathered with 2 stands lost.
Still wanting to fight, the Sissi charge back in to the fight and the lone stand gets his swing and kills one stand of the horde.
He charges back in and kills 2 more stands, and my brave troops decide enough is enough and retreat, leaving him in control of the objectives. But I decide it is not over yet and call for heavy support.
Finnish Turn 3
Ambush revealed!
They charge into the forests and both bog, but wide tracks saves both. The other T-28s move up and MG the guys in the open, killing 2 stands.
I assault their position, but the trained crew cannot hit their marks. The Japanese swing back, but due to re-rolling successes, they score no hits. The T-28s charge back in and get both swings, killing 2. This happens many more times until the Japanese decide enough is enough and manage to blow up both tanks, and they consolidate out of range of my other T-28s.
At this point the game ends and he is left controlling the objective. A good, short, and fun game. Looking back I really should have used the T-28s better. But still, it was good to try out an army I threw together quickly, and I will have fun taking it to the tournament.




No comments:

Post a Comment